Last year, SMU launched its multiyear, $1.5 billion campaign, SMU Ignited: Boldly Shaping Tomorrow. Scholarships are one of the top priorities for SMU Cox during this campaign because they ensure that the School can recruit and retain top-quality business students. As of this fall, SMU Cox has raised 60% of our $30 million scholarship goal.

Investing in scholarships means directly investing in students’ educations, which ensures they have the financial support to pursue a world-class education that extends far beyond the classroom. When donors support a scholarship, they are not only investing in the students of today but also providing an education for the next generation of business leaders.

BBA Scholarships

In 2002, Cox launched our prestigious BBA Scholars program. BBA scholars are top-tier students admitted directly into the business school during their senior year of high school. In addition to providing financial support, the program also connects students to a variety of activities and programs to help them explore the business world.

Support for our undergraduate scholarships helps SMU Cox recruit the best and brightest students. For Cox to remain a top business school, it’s imperative that we continue to recruit high-achieving students. As competition increases both locally and nationally, scholarship offerings help students differentiate between multiple universities when it’s time for them to make their university choice.

Brooke Levy, BBA ’25, is a sophomore from Las Vegas, majoring in finance with a real estate concentration and a minor in psychology. She is heavily involved in the Cox community through TAMID, which offers experiential learning through business in Israel; SMU Real Estate Club; Boulevard Investment Group; and BBA Admissions Ambassadors.

“Knowing that SMU, and Cox, specifically, have chosen to invest in my education has enormously impacted my experience here. I felt so invested from the start of my first semester, and I am grateful to have so many resources dedicated to helping me prepare for my career. The generous investment in students’ educations, including my own, opened so many doors. I truly cannot explain my gratitude toward the donors who made my education at this institution possible.”

Keyshon Jones, BBA ’23, a Baltimore native, is pursuing a BBA degree in management. Along with being a recipient of a BBA scholarship, he is also a Cox Community Scholar and a Hunt Scholar. During his time at Cox, Keyshon has gained real-world business experience by pursuing various internships and jobs, including partnering with a fellow Cox student to start up his own business, Sister Shaq Tea Company, where Jones now serves as the director of marketing.

“Receiving a Cox education has allowed me to learn from some of the most experienced professionals in their industry and build a lifelong network of friends and mentors. The support from Cox has allowed me to envision a future for myself that will allow me to accomplish lifelong goals. Without the support of my scholarship, it would not be possible for me and many others at Cox to receive such an amazing education and build the foundation for such a valuable network.”

MBA Scholarships

Like the SMU Cox BBA program, SMU Cox MBA programs have been highly ranked for many years. MBA scholarships ensure that the School can continue to attract high-quality students and support their post-graduate education as corporate tuition reimbursement programs continue to decrease.

Philip Bowie, MBA ’23, is a Full-Time MBA student and a Cox MBA Distinguished Scholar. He obtained his Bachelor of Science in electrical engineering from Texas A&M University and went on to work as an application engineer at Texas Instruments, then as a consultant at Deloitte, before pursuing his MBA at SMU full-time. At SMU, Bowie is the Graduate Finance Association president and Energy Club vice president. He has also held an MBA internship at Wells Fargo as an investment banking summer associate.

“The scholarship, in all honesty, was a major deciding factor in why I decided to come to SMU Cox to pursue my MBA. I have had the opportunity to truly learn and experience aspects and cultures I never imagined possible. Pursuing my MBA has introduced me to the business world here in Dallas and [beyond]. Through my scholarship, I have had the opportunity to experience and learn about the culture in Dubai and will also be heading to Dublin in the spring. I have had the opportunity to have a seat at the table and act as a face for the Cox MBA program by being a mentor and representative to new students and companies.”

Destiney Scott, MBA ’23, is a Full-Time MBA student, a Cox Community Scholar and a Forté Fellow. She obtained her BSBA in finance with a minor in sociology from East Carolina University. She formerly worked at Truist Bank (formerly BB&T) as a community banker and most recently interned at Proctor & Gamble as a human resources manager. At SMU Cox, Scott serves as the vice president of the Black Graduate Student Association and is also involved in Graduate Women in Business. Upon completion of her MBA, she is looking forward to pursuing a career in human resource management.

“My scholarship has been extremely impactful and has even allowed me to attend the National Black MBA Association conference, where I was able to engage with recruiters and potential employers. The Cox Career Management Center has been instrumental in assisting me with my career search, interview preparation and guidance throughout my internship. Additionally, the coursework has allowed me to foster strategic business decision-making skills and competencies to become a successful leader.”

Get Involved

Each of these students was given the opportunity to thrive due to financial support that created the opportunity to attend SMU Cox. Scholarship support makes a tremendous difference to each student recipient and allows Cox programs to remain among the best in the country. Thank you to the donors who support undergraduate and graduate scholarships. Your generosity makes a difference. If you would like to support scholarships at Cox, contact apitts@smu.edu or megm@smu.edu.